Monday, June 8, 2009

Reef Aquarium Intro/Recap

Hey guys.

This'll be the first post on my tank. I wish I did a complete build thread when I started the tank, but oh well. Here I'll give you some background on the tank.

The aquarium is a saltwater reef tank and it's been running for 9 months as of right now. The display tank is 12 gallons. It has a sump in the stand that is 10 gallons.


Photobucket


Livestock (Fish):
  • False Percula Clownfish - 'Perky'
  • Scooter Blenny (Dragonet)
  • Small Blue Leg Hermit
  • 2 Turbo Snails
  • 5 Nasarius Snails
Livestock (coral):
  • Mushrooms
  • Pink Xenia
  • Leather Tree
  • Branching Hammer
  • Branching Frogspawn
  • 5 Acroporas: Birds Nest, Purple Tricolor, others I don't know their name . . .

stand


Equipment in/on the tank (currently) includes:

Lighting:
  • 2 x 24 watt T5 VHO - one 18K white and the other actinic (they both run 10 hours each day)
  • Dual LED moonlight (This runs for 2 hours before and after the T5's run)
Filtration:
  • 14 lbs. Live Rock
  • (Drumroll please . . . the Beast:) Reef Octopus NW-150 Protein Skimmer [rated for tanks up to 150 gallons]
  • Marineland canister filter: I run carbon and GFO in this. But I currently am switching over to:
  • 2 x TLF Phosban Reactors - one for carbon and the other for GFO (run by a rio 90 pump)
Mechanics:
  • Water movement is accomplished with 2 koralia nano powerheads
  • Return pump: Quiet One 5000 - pumping about 125gph up to the display tank
  • Auto top off - from AutoTopOff.com - connected to a aquaclear 20 powerhead
  • CPR Overflow - rated for up to 300gph
  • Heater is some $20 glass heater
  • Computer fans for lights and water cooling
Dosing:
  • Only kalkwasser is dosed at this time for pH stabilization at night. I drip only at night with a Kent Marine Aquadoser
Controllers:
  • (On it's way!) ReefKeeper Lite - Level 1 - I will be controlling the heater, fans, and powerheads with this. PH's will be wavemakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment