Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Update - Becoming a more accurate aquarist . . .

Well,

Today a shipment came in that I was excited about. I ordered the supplies from birch03 on Reef Central. He was awesome. He was very flexible with prices and shipment arrived the NEXT DAY! Can't get much better than that folks.

Here's what came:

shipment 6-9-09

Salifert Test Kits: Magnesium, Phosphate, and Nitrate
Refractometer


I was running out of my API nitrate tests, so had to pick up another one. I wanted a more accurate phosphate test kit than the Red Sea one I have so I got the salifert one. And I needed a magnesium test kit to test my Mg for the first time. As I suspected (because I never had good coralline growth), it was low: 1140ppm about 200ppm short. I was using Red Sea Coral Pro salt for the last 6 months. I have picked up D-D Ocean Plus Pro salt which features high amounts of magesium. I'm hoping the D-D salt will help maintain a good magnesium level.

I got the refractometer to replace my hydrometer. After being shown by Gary and Russ's podcast, American Reef/ReefBuilders, just how innacurate hydrometers can be, I realized that I needed to get a refractometer. After testing the refractometer against my hydrometer, the hydrometer actually ended up being fairly accurate. (fhew :) ) I can finally rest easier now knowing that my tank is at the correct salinity. The refractometer was a purchase long overdue - especially after getting SPS corals in my tank.


Link of the week:

John Cena's 800 Reef Tank - Tank Build Thread on RC (and yes it's really his tank)




On its way to ME:

Koralia Nano powerhead
TLF Phosban reactor with pump
ReefKeeper Lite L1

No comments:

Post a Comment